Saturday, February 9, 2013

Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup

Carrots and ginger make such a delightful combo and the cream makes it so comforting.

2 pounds chopped carrots
1 large onion chopped
4 large potatoes chopped (I didn't have potatoes the last time I made this, so I subbed beets. Not too shabby of a substitute!)
Ginger to taste. I like it quite gingery, so I chopped up this guy and even added powdered ginger!
About 4 tablespoons of butter
.5 pint of heavy cream
32 ounces veg stock
32 ounces chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot sweat the onions in butter until translucent. Add stock and veg and cook until soft. If the veg isn't covered by the stock add a little bit of water. I used a blender to give the soup more of a smooth, velvety texture, but if you want a more chunky soup you can use a potato masher. Once blended/mashed add the cream to the soup and let simmer for a few minutes. I added basil at the end as well because I had some on hand and I love the pop of green with orange color! Any fresh herbs you have on hand adds a nice touch of color and flavor! I also recommend serving with super crusty bread and butter.






You can also make this vegetarian by using only veg broth and if you want to make it vegan, there are some pretty decent soy products you can use in place of the heavy cream and you can sub olive oil in place of the butter.














No comments:

Post a Comment